Tuesday, November 25, 2008

All about vinegars and health

In 2004, I decided to do some soul searching into drinking vinegar, not only because of the reputation of apple cider vinegar and health benefits, but because i was fortunate enough to know a manufacturer of health vinegars in Taiwan, through my wife who was very interested in the idea of importing and distribution of the product.

Naturally, i became concerned about the potential of the vinegars and there health benefits, it all sounded very promising, but did it really work, that's what i was interested in, because I didn't wish to give my wife support in a product, that didn't live up to the challenge of passing my tests, my main concern was that i couldn't recommend a drinking vinegar, if it failed my testing.

Research is not new to me, I am qualified in business and risk assessment for export, so I decided to undertake my own evaluation of the product, and the only way to do this was to become knowledgeable about how vinegars are made, and of what materials they are made from.

My other interest in athletics, running, weight training and general all round fitness, was in my favour, i have had over 33 years of sports interest and nutrition, I know the workings of the human body very well, with sufficient bio chemistry understanding to allow me to make an honest opinion on drinking vinegars, which would also add, to the credibility of the products on test.

Drinking vinegar was all new to me, and also very interesting to discover the roots of the sour wine, but my main interest was health today, not so much about the past...so firstly I will tell you, there are only 3 types of classification for vinegars and only one healthy vinegar.
  1. Specially brewed Vinegar

  2. Synthetic Vinegar

  3. A mixture of the two

I think it's obvious to say, number one is the only choice one should be concerned with, and consumers should avoid the other two like the plague, unless they are using them for external usage, like disinfecting, crop spraying or other forms of preventative attacks from molds, viruses, insects whatever, vinegars are ideal for the job, although cost is usually taken into account when disinfecting and cleaning.


There are many brands in the market place, that a blend of brewed and synthetic vinegars are used. I avoid these mixed vinegars and have always used brewed vinegars, coming from the famous chippy land, (french fries)of UK, use brewed malt in most cases. Which is a very good vinegar for food, but not at all recommended for drinking.

Distilled vinegar, has no health benefits at all, and is just a mixture of distilled water and the chemical acetic acid, ideal for cleaning that's about all, in my opinion.

Specially brewed vinegars are all weak acids, that dilute in water and once ingested, breakdown in the stomach acid, which is around pH 2, the vinegar effects on the pH 2, are of an alkaline effect, because the vinegar dilutes when consumed, raising the pH value higher in the stomach.


So the myth of adding more acid to the stomach maybe correct to a certain extent, but the truth of the matter is that it does have an alkaline effect once consumed, not an acid effect.


Vinegars are neutralisers of acids & alkaline and this is easy put to the test with litmus paper

No comments:

Post a Comment